Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Installing the Nucs.

Monday afternoon was warm and sunny enough to try and move the Nucs into their new hives. I invited a fellow newbie bkpr over to the house to watch/photograph. Some neighbors and their kids came over to watch as well.
We heard the buzzing from the minute we pulled into the driveway. The source turned out to be my old 10 frame hive from last season (above photo). There are about 4 frames of capped honey still in it and they were determined to get in there.
Based on P.N.'s description of "these are stout nucs," I was a little concerned about their stress level, etc. They confirmed my worry by stinging me above my right eye before I could event get my gear on. (no photos, please).
I got my smoker lit in a hurry (I still don't understand why people have any issue with this). I use cedar shavings as fuel with some toilet paper as kindling. It works every time, see:
I opened up the first nuc to find more bees than I ever saw in my entire first season. The photo below is what they call "boiling with bees." They were pissed.

Once I figure out how to embed a slideshow, I'll post it. Here is the final shot before we closed up the second hive. Everyone seems happy for now.



A diet of sugar syrup will start for everyone tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment